Wednesday, February 27, 2008

SURPRISE!!!!



It would be an understatement if we said we are excited..
This was meant to be, in so many ways..

We only started the process 4 months ago!!
We requested a boy, between the ages of 3 and 4, on the special needs list, with a limb difference.
We also knew that if nothing happened before July 08, we were removing our name from the list. (timing with Lily's age was very important to us)
So we told no one, not family, no one.

We had actually started with an agency different than the one we used last time.
(Wait times were different), but on a gut feeling...I called our old agency,
they had a file, and they had just (that day) called all of their families on the WC list to see if any of them wanted to change their dossier to look at the file. No one wanted to. Most wanted to wait for the "little girl, under the age of 2, cleft lip, cleft palate) A boy turning 4 in April isn't as "attractive" LOL
BUT, it is to us!!
He has a birth mark, called a Nevus Spilus on his forehead, and just under his nose. You can't actually see them too much any longer, as they've faded with age.
So many things happened that truly makes this meant to be, usually just to meet with a provincial social worker, takes weeks, to get the file here and ok'ed by the province takes weeks again. This ALL took 1 DAY!!!

We didn't list his "special need" on our dossier, but due to a grammatical error, his fits ours perfectly!
"a boy, with a limb difference, and a minor or correctable need."
instead of saying "that is minor or correctable"
(Thank you Marg, you probably did that on purpose!)
so none of the paperwork had to be changed and we were able to ask for his file.
That was February 5th 2008
We had to wait for the medical to be finished: checked out by CHEO in Ottawa
by a pediatric dermatologists, pediatric endocrinologist, and geneticists (probably to rule out if this was a genetic syndrome)
We found out February 19th, that he was healthy, and developmentally on target!
We signed the paperwork to make him "our son" on February 21st!

Whew...what a whirwind!!!!

So let me tell you a bit about our handsome boy!!
His name is Zhang, Han Lin
we'll call him Hanlin ??? Dolan, we haven't decided!
DOB April 30th 2004
From: Tianjin, (2.5 hours outside of Beijing by train)

He is cuddly and compliant, he is happy with other children and often shows his care and consideration. He is especially good at mimicking and memory.
His weakness is he timid and not sociable. (that will change with 3 girls around him!!)
His special need is a nevus spilus (birth mark) on his forehead. The color faded as he grew. Now it only gets darker when he is impatient or upset. (Frank said he is like a mood ring) Afterwards it will go to light pink which is unnoticeable.
He likes to watch TV!! and likes singing and dancing!! (just like Lily, they'll be fighting for the remote).
He is 4 cm taller than Lily, but 2 lbs lighter and is 6 months older than her.
They'll be in the same grade in school.

Due to the Olympics in Beijing, China is not allowing any adoption travel the month before and the month after the Olympics and the Para Olympics.
It is looking like we'll travel in early October, unless China finishes the paperwork quickly,
then we'd travel in July.
We are lucky to be able to bring all 3 girls to China with us to meet their brother. We think it will help with the transition from foster family to forever family to have other children around. Also, my sister and her husband, Cheryl and Tom, have decided to come with us!
An extra pair of hands to hold the camera!!
So many coincidences: We were provincially approved December 12th 07, on Abigail's B-day
He was born on April 30th 2004 (my brother in laws b-day).
He is standing in front of a Hibiscus plant, one of mom's favorite!

I know my mom had a hand in this!! She guided us to him and him to us.
We knew a long time ago that we would be returning to China...
it is where our hearts are and it is where our son is, waiting for us.




18 comments:

kitchu said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! He is ADORABLE!!! And talk about some serious red thread moments :O) I'm so so happy for you guys. And I'm LOVING that you're keeping his name as his name, I love Hanlin!!!!
Congratulations... here's to hoping for speedy travel!!

Just Us Girls said...

OMG look at him!! He is handsome and those eyes...
I agree, there is some serious red threads happening and he is MEANT to be with you and your family!!

CONGRATULATIONS Dolan Family! I am so happy and excited for you ALL!

Big hugs from the girls and I!! WOW! This is wonderful news!!!

Carrie

Mammarazzi Madness said...

Congrats from the bottom of my heart. I've gotten to know you over the past year and I am so glad to call you my friend. You are such a terrific mother. What a lucky little boy !!! I think you are right that things happen for a reason and I believe that the plant is there in the picture as a sign to show you that your mother is watching over your sweet boy !
Wow ...what an adventure you have in front of you.
Sorry I missed your call last night and equally sorry I missed meeting the girls. We'll have to officially coordinate a blog party once Diane returns from China :)
Andrea

Briana's Mom said...

Congratulations! He is so handsome and amazing!

Catherine said...

What a cutie!! what a blessing your son will be to your family.

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my - what wonderful news! I've had such a "feel good" day since reading your news. How wonderful for all of you. I keep smiling when I think about this little boy - people think I'm up to something!

Congratulations!
Nancy

tiffany said...

Oh oh oh! He is adorable! And his SN is a mood-mark! That is the best. :) Our little guy is so special and what a wonderful addition he has been to our family. You know what has surprised me the most about our BOY? That he is the very sweetest natured of our kiddos. :) I expected a little wild man and instead he is a loving, sweet little guy who is just a pleasure. I know your little man will be a very special addition to your family as well. Big, huge congragulations!

geminirn said...

I keep coming back for another peek....he is soooo cute.....just think how much fun you guys all are going to have spoiling this little man!

BIG HUGS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. He is so handsome and sweet looking (love that little mouth!) It is amazing how quickly things have come together. You may just be a year start to fnish. And he fits so perfectly. Just the right age. Congrats again.

Moya
felllow Dj parent

Anonymous said...

congrats on your new son he is so cute

here is my email Fmosey@sympatico.ca

I may have someone for you to contact about your son

Pam Mosey

PennyWolfe said...

Congratulations. A boy growing up in a house full of girls! At least Frank has someone on his side now. I am so happy for all of you and thrilled that you are able to bring the WHOLE FAMILY and then some. What an awesome experience that will be. Wow! I can't wait to follow that blog. I have goose bumps just imagining what it will be like to see China through your daughters' eyes!

Almost makes me want to do it all over again...Almost. :)

**hugs**

Lisa, Pierre, Marika,Karelle, Yakim, Tarik and Zavier said...

I am SOOO Excited for you and your family Krista.. it just seems PERFECT !

Congratulations and don't forget to let me know when you are coming to see us !!!

Lisa

Chris, Tammy and the gang! said...

Hi Krista,

Yay! So excited that you can share your beautiful son! I can't believe the similarities with our stories! It's incredible!
Our little Evan is from Guangxi by the way. He is 8 months older than our Alyssa (from Hunan) and they will also be in the same grade! He is also the same size as Alyssa!

I am so excited for you guys...I can't wait to follow your trip...I am still praying hard for a way to take all 3 of our children with us - it would be a trip and an experience of a lifetime for them and for us and for Evan!!!

I will also pray your paperwork gets reviewed and approved quickly by CCAA so you can travel by JUNE!!!

Talk soon,
Tammy
PEI

Deanna said...

Congratulations! So wonderful to see another Tianjin family! I can't wait to follow your journey.

my3 kids said...

OMG we are SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for you Krista....he is such a handsome little man. What wonderful news to come home from Florida too. Congratulations and he is so meant to be with your family!!!

M3 said...

Congratulations! What an adorable little guy. (And love, love, love that you're keeping his beautiful name.)

Debbie said...

Congrats again!! I can't believe how fast all this has happened. Glad to finally see his pics! He's totally adorable. I'll get in touch when my life finally slows down a bit. We'll have coffee and the girls can play again.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations !!

We are very eager to meet the new addition to your family.... He is very sweet kid.

Yogesh and Dhanashri