Tuesday, April 3, 2007

My favorite " I need to have supper done in under 30 mins" recipe.

I seem to be on the run with my kids everyday!! Especially the 2 older ones and I need quick suppers that take little ingredients, little time and can sit on the stove until 8pm.

I have a few "stand-by" recipes that I alternate. These are recipes that I can have finished by 4pm, leave for the gym with 1 girl and Frank or the babysitter can feed the remaining girls.
Then at 8pm, the gym girl and myself can eat.

I've taken recipes and adjusted them for me...to use what I have on hand...and to make it easier
I don't measure the flour or the spices or weigh the chicken etc.. and it always turns out.
So trust yourself, relax and wing it!!
To make things even faster, I serve this with rice that is cooking in the rice cooker while I make the supper.

Here is my "easy, tried and liked" recipe for the week:

CHICKEN SKILLET DINNER
This takes about 15-20 mins to prepare and about 45 mins to cook.

1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp pepper
4 small chicken breast (bone in or out)
1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
2 cups carrots, (baby carrots are easier and faster)
(I've used fresh green beans, and frozen veggies when in a pinch)
1 onion cut into wedges
1 can chicken broth or veggie broth
1/4 cup cream cheese

Heat the italian dressing in a large skillet or deep sided pot.
Mix your flour and pepper in a bowl and toss your chicken to coat it lightly. Add your chicken to the dressing. Cook for 5 mins on medium (actually time it...don't touch it till 5 mins is DONE!) It will be golden. Turn over and add your carrots, onion and 1 cup of broth. Cover and reduce heat to med-low. simmer 20mins. (till veggies are done).
Once the veggies are done, remove the chicken and veggies from the pan to a covered bowl.
Add the cream cheese and what ever broth you have left to the pot, increase your heat and cook till the cream cheese is melted and is well blended. Reduce heat and and cook till sauce is thickened slightly.
*At this point I taste the sauce and if I have lots of chicken I make more sauce, by adding more italian dressing, broth (or water in a pinch) and cream cheese to the pot.
Add the chicken and veggies back to the pot.
Take off heat, it can sit and wait till your ready or serve right away.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Mom to Kayli and Mya said...

Well that sounds yummy and easy but it is me that we are talking about LOL!

Thanks for sharing and I will have to give it a try :)

Carrie

Jamie and Angela said...

Thanks for posting that, it sounds really good! I'm going to try that soon.